Sunday, May 25, 2008

POĞAÇA



Everybody has their unique recipe for pogaca. The nice part of it, pogaca is always delicious:) Don't get confuse, if you see one with different shape and filling.


Pogaca is perfect for breakfast with a cup of Turkish tea.

Ingredients:


Dough:


  • 4 cups of all purpose flour
  • 1 cup of warm milk
  • 1/2 cup of vegetable oil
  • 1 egg+1 egg white
  • 3 tbs of sugar
  • 1 tbs of salt
  • 1 tbs of instant yeast
  • Filling:
  • feta cheese
Topping:
  • 1 egg yolk
  • sesame seeds or nigella seeds

Mix all of the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Add milk, vegetable oil and eggs. Knead them all together with your hands until becoming dough. The dough should be soft. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it rest until the dough rises to double its size. It takes one to two hours.

Take the bowl and knead the dough again until it is bubble free. Take a small piece of dough ( about the size of an egg) and make it flat with your hands.Place 1 tbs of filling in the middle of the dough and close it up. Give the dough a shape of small ball with your hands Place them on a baking tray and let them rise for half an hour.

When putting the pocaga to the tray, the closed part of it should face to the surface of the baking tray. Preheat the oven to 350F. Brush all of the pogacas with egg yolk and sprinkle nigella on top. Bake them until the color of egg yolk turns to brown.



Tips:


  • You can also fill the pogaca with cream cheese.
  • If the dough gets so hard, you can add more milk.
  • If the dough gets watery, you can add more flour.

15 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Your Pogaca look gorgeous! What delicious little breads!

Cheers,

Rosa

My Turkish Kitchen said...

Thank you Rosa,
I saw your bread, it looks perfect too...

trypanasoma said...

iffetçim doğum günün kutlu olsun bitanecik dostum..

My Turkish Kitchen said...

kubracim, cok tesekkurler, unuttugundan emindim:0 ama yanilttin beni...

Unknown said...

I enjoyed looking at thye recipes! I will try to make the Borek soon and tell you how it turned out! Well done with your blog.

My Turkish Kitchen said...

Tahira,
Thank you for your visit to my blog and thank you for your compliment.
Iffet

Laurie said...

Hello! i've just discivered your blog and I would like to try the pogaça! What is your "cup"? is it any kind of cup ? or does it have a special size?
Thanks for your answer! :)

My Turkish Kitchen said...

Hi Laurie,
The cup is standard American cup which is 16 tablespoons, 236 ml and 8 ounces.
I hope it helps.
Iffet

Selena said...

Ok! Thanks! I prepared the dough yesterday evening! (I took a glass as a cup...) I will cook the pogaça this morning and let you know about it :) Greetings from France!

My Turkish Kitchen said...

Hi Laurie,
Very nice...
This is my all time recipe for the pogaca and it never fails. I hope yours turn out well too.
Let me know.
Iffet

Selena said...

It was simply delicious!! :)
Great recipe! Çok teşekkür ederim for sharing it! :)

My Turkish Kitchen said...

I am glad it turned out well.
Rica ederim Laurie:)
Iffet

KRhodes said...

Wow! I lived in Turkey for 2 years and have become unofficially obsessed with Turkish food ever since. These pogacas are the first thing I have tried off your site but they are perfect!! They took longer to rise than I expected but once they were cooked they tasted just like those I had in Turkey, and dare I say it?...maybe even better! Fresh from the oven goodness :) Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

I just sat and looked through every post, and look forward to seeing more! I've been learning Turkish this year for fun and have been trying out some recipes.

What is Turkish tea like?

My Turkish Kitchen said...

Hi Jenny,
It is very nice that you are learning Turkish and trying Turkish recipes. The language will allow you to see a very rich culture. The Turkish tea is black tea. The Turkish tea kettle make the the tea special I think.
Thanks,
Iffet