Sunday, September 7, 2008

HAVUÇLU KEK




CARROT CAKE

This cake is one of my favorites. My oldest sister, Dilek , used to bake it for me when I was single. I am married now and baking this cake to my son and my husband. They like it as much as I do :)


Ingredients:


For cake:

  • 3 eggs
  • 3/4 cup of sugar
  • 3/4 cup of flour
  • 2 cups of grated carrot
  • 1/2 cup of crushed walnut
  • 1/2 cup of raisins
  • 1tbsp of ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp of baking soda
For frosting:

  • 2 cups of milk
  • 3 tbsp of flour
  • 4 tbsp of sugar



Preheat the oven to 350F.
In a large mixing bowl, take the eggs and sugar and mix it for 5 minutes with a mixer. Add flour, cinnamon, and baking soda to this mixture and mix them for another 5 minutes. Add carrot, walnut, and raisins to the bowl and stir them with a spoon until they are well combined. Pour this mixture to a 8" non-stick round cake pan and bake for 1 hour.Remove the pan from oven and allow the cake cool completely.
Meanwhile, in a medium pot, take milk, flour, and sugar for frosting. Mix them with a whisk and turn the heat to the high. Keep mixing until it starts bubbling and starts to be smooth.Turn the heat off allow it cool completly.
Pour the frosting on top of the cool cake and frost it.

6 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That cake looks fabulous and really delicious!

Cheers,

Rosa

Anonymous said...

I understand why you and your family like it..its lokking good

Mysterious said...

You don't add any oil or butter to this?

My Turkish Kitchen said...

Mysterious, there is no oil in this recipe. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Salam aleykum iffet,
I just made this cake and very happy with it! I tasted turkish carrot cake from a bakery in istanbul, when i visited a friends house. It was very good, not oily or heavy like american ones. I try to find the recipe but unfortunately turkish recipes are not standard...for example one cup is a water cup which is not same like american cup. I need a turkish recipe but translated into american standards;). Of course my turkish husband said to use my common sense n try to figure it out....
Anyway i found your recipe and was surprised there was no oil at all....resulted in a light spicy carrot cake... I think the one i tasted in istanbul had some oil in it, but i am very happy with this recipe....thank you so much!!!

My Turkish Kitchen said...

You're welcome. I'm happy the recipe turned out well!
Iffet